Sunday, May 3, 2009

Where do you stand?

Tonight has been a night of introspection; introspection with where I stand. I don't have these nights often, but when I do they're good. I normally see something on TV, or in a film, or read something somewhere that just really gets me thinking. Tonight I saw the new documentary show of Steve-o on MTV and his addiction to numerous drugs and alcohol. I found myself in shock of what I saw: sometimes we are reminded of just how fragile life can be, but then you can also be reminded just how inspiring the essence of the human heart really is. I found myself relating to Steve-o, not in the sense of alcohol or drugs, but just the downward spiral that you can get caught in. We all have our vices - sin, it's learning to control those vices and not have them control you that is key.

Now, my normal thoughts when I used to ask myself the question: where do I stand? I would compare myself would other people and inevitably get depressed because there is always someone who seems to be doing better than me in some apsect of life. But, tonight, I know where I stand and I'm content with it. My answer tonight was to compare myself with God. At first when you hear that you would think it would be more depressing because how could you ever get any happiness by comparing yourself with something perfect? My answer is that I draw my worth from the Lord now and not from others. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't care about what people think, but I know how my Father in heaven feels about me and ultimately, that's all I need. I also know how that same Father in heaven feels about every person on this earth: 2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance." He loves each one of us.

If you find that you are in the midst of a downward spiral and can't seem to draw your worth from anything, don't wait, just surrender yourself and His holy spirit will do the rest. I promise there is worth and healing at the cross. People will always have the ability to let you down, but God doesn't have that ability. He's faithful 'til the very end and desires a personal, honest, and open relationship with each of us. "Even through the eye of the storm, you are never alone." He's waiting for you...